Psyche
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Soul, Many Journeys

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Kalama Sutta

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Kalama Sutta Empty
PostSubject: Kalama Sutta   Kalama Sutta Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 9:42 am

Kalama Sutta

The people of Kalama asked the Buddha who to believe out of all the ascetics, sages, venerables, and holy ones who, like himself, passed through their town. They complained that they were confused by the many contradictions they discovered in what they heard. The Kalama Sutta is the Buddha's reply.

– Do not believe anything on mere hearsay.
– Do not believe in traditions merely because they are old and have been handed down for many generations and in many places.
– Do not believe anything on account of rumors or because people talk a a great deal about it.
– Do not believe anything because you are shown the written testimony of some ancient sage.
– Do not believe in what you have fancied, thinking that, because it is extraordinary, it must have been inspired by a god or other wonderful being.
– Do not believe anything merely because presumption is in its favor, or because the custom of many years inclines you to take it as true.
– Do not believe anything merely on the authority of your teachers and priests.
– But, whatever, after thorough investigation and reflection, you find to agree with reason and experience, as conducive to the good and benefit of one and all and of the world at large, accept only that as true, and shape your life in accordance with it.

The same text, said the Buddha, must be applied to his own teachings.

– Do not accept any doctrine from reverence, but first try it as gold is tried by fire.
Back to top Go down
GothiKat
Insightful Scribe
Insightful Scribe
GothiKat

Kalama Sutta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kalama Sutta   Kalama Sutta Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:57 am

Thanks for posting this Rogue. It pretty much sums up where I am at right now. I've long had the niggling problem of universality in my mind - must be the scientist in me. For something to be a universal truth it must apply to everyone, not just some. So many spiritual beliefs are not universally inclusive.

My other problem lays with positive thought and positivity being the answer to all. How can you have positive without negative? Where is the balance? Positive thought only benefits if we are aware of the negative and able to work with both. It is like trying to describe light without referring to the absence of light which is darkness. If we find ourselves depressed or facing problems, often we become disheartened thinking we have failed. But these things exist as opportunities to expand our awareness and find deeper levels within our being so that our existence widens and opens a greater portal of light within...

Back to top Go down
http://lightwarriors.heavenforum.com/
Solane Star
Co-Conscious with Oneness
Co-Conscious with Oneness

Kalama Sutta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kalama Sutta   Kalama Sutta Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Rogue ,

I did post this article here for you, may-BE you don't see it yet.

Heres the link my friend

Undoing the Damage of Rogue Light & Sound Gurus
https://souljourneys.forumotion.net/t648-undoing-the-damage-of-rogue-light-sound-gurus Like a Star @ heaven Wink Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Kalama Sutta Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kalama Sutta   Kalama Sutta Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kalama Sutta
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Psyche :: Spirituality :: Other Spirituality-
Jump to: